Nurse Practitioner – Ref. 19026
Community Health Centre/Mobile Health Bus
18-Month Contract - .5 FTE
The Alex: Changing Health. Changing Lives. The Alex Community Health Centre is a not-for-profit organization that is changing how we look at health care in Calgary. Our health, housing and food programs support our most vulnerable neighbours, tackling tough health and social issues head-on. Using a multi-disciplinary team approach, we focus care on assessment, intervention and promotion of all aspects of health. We embrace a model of health care that is accessible, responsive and participatory. In addition to the Family Health Centre, we run a Seniors Health Centre, a Youth Centre, two Mobile Community Health Buses, one Dental Health Bus, four Housing First Programs, a Community Food Centre and Youth Law.
What we do and why we do it:
Our Community Health Centre improves quality of life in our communities through a comprehensive model of healthcare. Our focus is on prevention, and our team of professionals work hard to step in before long-term interventions are needed, giving preventative care in a welcoming, easy to access environment.
We are currently seeking a Nurse Practitioner to work .5 FTE for an 18-month contract each, which may include days, evenings & weekends with our Health Centres and the Mobile Health Buses.
What you will do:
- Diagnose and manage both common and complex health conditions
- Promote health and provide patient education
- Order and interpret diagnostic tests
- Prescribe pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and other therapies
- Perform procedures, interventions and treatments
- Provide mentorship to members of the multidisciplinary team
- Adhere to all health and safety regulations including: policies and procedures; protecting your own and others’ physical and psychological health and safety; as well as, refraining from behaviors of violence and/or harassment
What you bring:
- Licensed with the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta
- Completion of an approved Nurse Practitioner program, BLS-C and triplicate prescribing authority
- Knowledge, skills and abilities to work with complex individuals experiencing addictions, mental health, isolation, homelessness and poverty concerns
- Strong communication skills and ability to adapt communication style to meet the needs of a specific individual
- Must be comfortable working using harm reduction, strength based, natural and logical consequences, and trauma informed care techniques as well as an understanding of anti-oppressive practice
- Firm boundaries yet able to effectively build relationships with hard to engage patients
- Assertive, professional and positive, with an ability to effectively represent the organization
- Experience with starting and maintaining opioid replacement therapy (Suboxone and Methadone)
Why You Want to Work with Us:
The Alex is an innovative and diverse organization which seeks to invest in its employees and see them succeed in their chosen careers. If you are seeking a deeply rewarding, yet challenging career helping Calgary’s vulnerable populations, this might be the place for you!
- 3-paid weeks of Vacation (Prorated for part-time)
- Paid Wellness and Personal Days
- RRSP Matching after 6 months
- Investment in Professional Development
- Health and Lifestyle Enhancement benefit
How to apply:
If you are as passionate as we are about making a difference in people’s lives, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include the job title and reference number in the subject line.
For further information about The Alex and its programs, we encourage you to visit our website at www.thealex.ca
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Similar searches: Healthcare Services and Wellness